23rd May: Lung collapse and round in circles

P.s my proof reader has got a new job, (selfish I know lol) so what you're reading from now on is my poor attempt at literature and grammar.


23rd May: This is where it gets a bit tricky in terms of remembering who visited Oliver on cirtain days. This is because somedays I would be in then frances would be in, sometimes 2-3 days in a row if I was working.
So I'm just going to write it from how I felt/reacted to the news and events that unfold.

Anyway on the 23rd May, we got word that Oliver's right lung had collapsed. I'm sure I don't need to explain how bad and frightening this was. This is something that had happend to him before, but with recent events, such as infections and water retention ect outlined in my last blog, this was more serious.
Not to mention he was also on the highest oxygen levels and the high frequency ventilator still. (Also another blood transfusion) Insert pic

Round in circles....... 
Still on the 23rd of May we also got some more news, this left us scratching our heads.
It was recommended that due to the pda valve being  the only thing supplying blood effectively, they didn't want to close this as he his to young to have the  narrow valve surgery. (Confused, me to)
 
180 turn, again........
Same day of the 23rd, in the early evening, it was decided after a meeting about Oliver and his heart, that
they think the best thing to do is to close the pda and that will push blood through the valve opening it up.
By doing this they hope the narrow valve will open up significant by the pressure of the blood flow.

I wasn't sure of what was happening by this point, I just knew I had to trust them and their judgments. I had all faith in them.

So again we was back waiting for him to be well enough to have the pda surgery. The stress is unreal, never have I felt stress like this.
Not knowing when or if and many other things just going round your brain.


24th may: The infection from his bowel was clearing, still at high levels, but was comming down. 
The good news was that he had come down from 100% oxygen to only 55% oxygen.
His right lung was still colapsed but was showing signs of improvement, but there was still fluid around the lung, this also showed signs of improvement. Insert pic  
The plan of action now was to get him clear of infection, then get the pda done and then back to Brighton. Untill this time he was to spend it in London, and one of us would be with him every day of the week. This soon changed, as we could both visit on the same day, just at separate times.

Go fund me.... 
Just quick on this, as my previous digression blog about go fund me said, this helped allot.
By this time I believe we had accumulated around £1000 from friends and family, even strangers.
This made our travel and accommodation bearable.
(Thank you to all who donated) 


25th May: Oliver had come off the high frequency ventilator and his infection markers had come down. Oliver was looking well and his lung had also improved.
Finaly some good news, again I never wanted to be overly positive. Time and time again I had been to this point and time and time again I was let down.
Trying the best I could, I just got on with it.

26th May: Oliver was showing further signs of improvement. He was on 30% oxygen his infection was significantly lower. With all this they scheduled his pda for the next couple days. (Another lot of bloods and platelets were given, this was becoming normal.) Insert pic

I was finding myself in that place, where I was getting posotive. The improvements were significant, I couldn't belive how just seeing him better made me feel.
It got to a point where I thought we are on the home stretch. Oliver would get his pda done, his infection would be gone for good and he would be on his way to being a healthy baby. Insert vid


This was even more enforced as on the 27th May he was doing so well they scheduled his pda for the 28th.

Unfortunately this was a dream.

Next, what do you mean another, and mum gets to hold him for the first time ever..





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

digression pt2 sorry

5th August: pink turtle, smiles and Tattoos.

17th August: The day before